How often do you think about your septic tank? Probably not often…at least until it malfunctions. Then it might be the only thing you can think about. Issues with your unit can put your family’s health at risk and can cause damage to your property. To avoid these problems, call Maxwell-White Plumbing to have our experts quickly repair your system in La Crosse, WI. In business since 1994, we offer emergency service rates.
Act quickly when your septic tank malfunctions. Contact us to learn about our septic tank services in La Crosse.
A Brief Overview of Septic Systems
A septic tank is a watertight chamber that is used to treat and store sewage. The tank is typically buried underground and connected to your home’s plumbing system. Septic tanks are usually made of concrete, fiberglass, or plastic.
Inside the septic tank, bacteria break down the sewage. This process helps to remove harmful contaminants from the waste before it is released into the environment. The treated sewage water then flows out of the septic tank and into a drain field, where it is further filtered before being returned to the groundwater supply.
Septic tanks are an important part of many homes’ wastewater treatment systems. They help to protect our water resources by treating sewage before it is released into the environment. When septic tanks are properly maintained, they can provide many years of trouble-free service.
Call Maxwell-White Plumbing when you need septic tank repair or replacement. We also offer drain field services.
Causes of Septic Tank Issues
Unfortunately, occasionally your septic tank might encounter issues that require repairs. Some common problems are:
- Sludge buildup.
- Failure to empty out a tank. This can cause it to backup.
- As it gets older your tank can deteriorate.
- Lines can become blocked in the drain field.
- Wear and tear on drain fields.
When Your Septic Tank Needs Maintenance
It’s essential to perform regular maintenance on your septic tank. You should schedule services at the following times:
- At least once a year. Your unit may need to be serviced more often depending on how many people live in the household, how much water is used, and if you have a jacuzzi or hot tub. It can also vary depending on the ages of people living in your property (teenagers and younger people may use more water than other age groups).
- If the tank is one-third full.
Make sure the water your family is drinking is safe and pure. Learn about our water filtration system services in La Crosse.
How To Prevent Septic Tank Issues
A malfunctioning septic tank can cause damage to your property and put your family’s health at risk. To avoid these problems, use the following tips:
- Don’t pour grease down the sink or toilet. This can cause clogs in the drain field.
- When planning your property, position landscaping, roof gutters and foundation drains so water flows away from the drain field.
- Keep the drain field from becoming water-logged.
- Clear the area around the tank of tree roots and concrete structures like driveways or patios.
- Don’t flush solid materials like coffee grounds or banana peels down the toilet.
- Schedule regular service appointments with a professional.
- Avoid using household cleaning products like bleach and drain cleaners.