Save Money and Use Less Water
Summer is here, and it’s time to start thinking about ways to reduce water usage. Summertime often brings higher water bills, so it’s essential to be mindful of how much water households use. Homeowners should look for every opportunity to reduce their water usage to make the summertime easier on the budget. Fortunately, there are some easy steps that can be taken to help conserve water this season while still keeping lawns and gardens lush and green. Here are some simple tips to help reduce water usage and costs this summer.
Invest in Water-Saving Devices
The most effective way households can save water is to install water-saving fixtures. Luckily, every plumbing fixture and water-using appliance found in a home has a water-saving version available that can help reduce water usage every time it’s used.
Examples of water-saving devices include fixtures like:
- Low-flow showerheads save water during showers without sacrificing comfort
- Water-saving toilets come in many types and save water with every flush
- Water-saving faucets that aerate the water to save water but keep good water pressure
- Appliances like clothes washers and dishwashers also come in versions that can save water and energy
Know the Best Time to Water the Lawn
One big drain on the summer budget is keeping the lawn looking great. As the seasonal rains slow down in the late spring, it will be the responsibility of the homeowner to water the landscape and the garden as much as necessary to keep the plants healthy. Knowing when to water the yard can reduce the water bill by preventing having to water it more.
For best results, make sure plants can absorb all of the water they need before the sun starts to evaporate the water. Always water in the early morning before the sun gets too high in the sky. This ensures the water has plenty of time to soak into the soil, and plants have time to absorb the water to prepare for the day. Watering in the early morning also stops mold and mildew, which is a problem that can occur when watering is done at night because the water sticks around too long before evaporation.
Other Tips to Limit Water Usage
Adopting the above strategies can significantly reduce water usage year-round, but more can always be done. There are many water-saving habits people can adopt to use less water. Some of the best water-saving habits a family can have are:
- Taking brief showers instead of baths
- Turning off the tap while shaving and brushing teeth
- Using the dishwasher instead of handwashing dishes
- Using a bucket to wash cars instead of a continuous water flow from a hose
- Ensuring rain sensors on irrigation systems are operational
About Maxwell-White Plumbing
Maxwell-White Plumbing has nearly three decades of experience serving West Salem, WI, and the surrounding areas. They provide straightforward pricing, financing, and the latest technology. Call them today for kitchen and bathroom plumbing services in West Salem, WI.